ChramusDev Apr/22/2024 07:05

Mistakes and learning / 間違いと学び

I wanted this game to be a more detailed product, regardless of optimization. Turns out it was too heavy on many aspects without showing much. This is what went wrong and what I learned:

* Heavy polygon count
- VRoidStudio generates bodies and faces too detailed for this kind of aplication. When I finished exporting the animations, they were too heavy. Blender wouldn't allow to reduce polygon count on models with shapekeys (used for facial expressions).
+ The fix is to reduce polygon count before starting the animations. Keep a low amount of facial expressions. (This time I had neutral, happy, sad, angry, excited, horny and horny resistant; open mouth and closed eyes variations)

* Too many facial expressions and poses wasted
- Some facial expressions were unused, but still used RAM memory space.
+ The fix is to use different bodies for action and H-scenes to avoid loading facial expressions that won't be noticed nor used. Keep better keyframes.

* Almost no gameplay or exploration
- I focused too much on H-scenes and I forgot about other action poses. I knew how to fix it, but it was too much for little payoff (and just thinking about the wasted work and rework made my heard hurt).
+ Spending more time on the overall design helps reduce wasted work and increases quality.

* No real variety
- Too much space for just two characters and some generic low polygon enemies (besides the H-scenes).
+ Invest more time on world building.

* Heavy Demo
- The demo was too heavy to include in the product page (1.5Gb limit). I couldn't make it lighter to ensure it prevents compatibility issues due to RAM memory concerns.
+ Design lightweight from the beginning.

* Overburn and show off
- It's been almost 4 years after the realase of "Wisp Forest". After the harem and tower demos, I wanted a product to show the results of my work on the store. I pressured myself and I just wanted to be free from it at the end. The result was an objectively worst product that only a few people with high RAM memory will be able to see, considering that "Wisp Forest" only uses 38.02MB of disk space.
+ Cut myself some slack. I'm doing this on the side of a full time job. I'll be able to release better stuff if I remember to do it for fun.

I think the most important lesson is that designing with availability in mind will help to reach a bigger audience. Well, that and "have fun".


このゲームを最適化とは独立した、より詳細な製品にしてほしかったと思います。結局のところ、それは多くの面で重すぎて、それを示すものはあまりありませんでした。何がうまくいかなかったのか、そして私が学んだことは次のとおりです。

* 多数のポリゴン
- VRoidStudio は、このタイプのアプリケーションには詳細すぎるボディと顔を生成します。アニメーションのエクスポートが大きすぎました。 Blenderでは顔のポリゴン(シェイプキー)の数を減らすことができません。
+ 修正は、アニメーションを開始する前にポリゴン数を減らすことです。表情は控えめにしてください。 (今回は中立、嬉しい、悲しい、怒り、興奮、興奮、興奮、興奮の耐性がありました。口を開けた状態と目を閉じた状態のバリエーションがありました)

* 無駄な表情やポーズが多すぎる
- 一部の表情は使用されませんでしたが、それでも RAM メモリ領域を使用しました。
+ 修正は、アクションと H シーンに別々のボディを使用して、気づかれない、または使用されない表情の読み込みを避けることです。キーフレームをより適切に保持します。

* ゲームプレイや探索はほとんどありません
- Hシーンに集中しすぎて他のアクションポーズを忘れてしまいました。修正方法は知っていましたが、そこから得られるものはほとんどありませんでした(無駄な作業ややり直しのことを考えるだけで苦痛です)。
+ 全体的なデザインにより多くの時間を費やすことは、無駄な作業が減り、品質が向上することを意味します。

* 本当の多様性はない
- たった 2 人のキャラクターといくつかの一般的なローポリ敵 (H シーンを除く) を入れるにはスペースが多すぎます。
+ 世界構築により多くの時間を投資してください。


* 重いデモ
- デモは重すぎて製品ページに含めることができませんでした (1.5Gb 制限)。 RAM メモリの問題により、互換性の問題を保証するために軽量化することはできませんでした。
+ 最初から軽量設計。

* オーバーバーンして見せびらかす
- 「Wisp Forest」が実現してから約4年。ハーレムとタワーのデモの後、店舗での作業の結果を示すための製品が必要になりました。自分に大きなプレッシャーをかけていたので、やっとそのプレッシャーから解放されたかったのです。その結果、「Wisp Forest」が使用したディスク容量が 38.02MB しかなかったことを考えると、RAM メモリを十分に備えている少数の人だけが目にするであろう、客観的に見て最悪の製品となりました。
+ ある程度のスペースを確保してください。私はフルタイムの仕事の傍らこれを行っています。楽しみのためにやることを覚えていれば、より良いものをリリースできるでしょう。


最も重要な教訓は、可用性を念頭に置いて設計すると、より幅広い視聴者にリーチできるということだと思います。まあ、それは「楽しんでください」です。

If you liked this article, support the creator with a tip!

Sending tips requires user registration.Find details about tips here.

Latest Articles

Monthly Archive

Search by Exclusive Perks

Search Articles